Friday, January 20, 2012

Powder Valley Nature Center Jan 20, 2012

So I had taken several pictures of Hux at this awesome nature center back in November when we came with WUMCHA (I swear, I wouldn't know half of all the awesome kids' stuff to do here in St. Louis without WUMCHA).  However, I somehow lost my camera that day and therefore the initial shots were lost.

Since Hux's friends were all sick or busy, I thought going back to the center would be fun (plus give me a chance to look for the camera).  No such luck on the camera front (of course, I have a lovely new one, but I have so much nostalgia for the camera that went to Spain with me in 2008...) Anyway, here are the awesome shots we got...it truly is a great center!


Bees!!


Notice the quilt squares spell out "Powder Valley."

What healthy water droplets look like...


What unhealthy water looks like-notice the ugly zebra mussel in the middle.

Again investigating healthy versus unhealthy water.

In the treehouse-checking out bats and other birds 'hangin' around.'


 If you open the trapdoor in the treehouse, you see a bird's nest!

Awesome pelts to pet.

There are awesome turtles at the center-HUGE!  Hux and I were both fascinated!



This guy wanted to redecorate- hard to see him as he is digging in the rocks.  He ended up moving the little fake greenery up and out of that corner (I think he wanted his tank a little more fung shui) and then burying himself under rocks on the other side of the big log.

The biggest buck in North America  in terms of points on his antlers (I think) was found in the St. Louis area-beating the one in TX so the sign read (and everything in TX is bigger so WOW!).  
I'm not sure if this buck here is the one in question, but that's a lot of antler!

 Can you spot the three red cardinals in this picture?  There were also three female cardinals and a few bluejays flying around...quite impressive for all my bird-loving relatives (Aunt Mary, we may have to come here when you visit!).

Such lovely landscaping!

Hux loved the puppets area.  Here he is as a fox? poking his head out...


Here he is with a little squirrel in a barrel...
...he also loved the spider and the bat!



The center also had several "look through the eyes of..." displays.  Here is Hux as a deer.

His favorite was the fly though...


So much fun to see what's in side!

He actually became proficient in rubbing crayons on different leaf patterns (he's never before mastered the 'on the side' crayon rub versus the direct 'crayon tip on paper' drawing).  It was a proud moment clearly.




 The huge snails and worms in this display were really attractive (as was the display of two of the most poisonous snakes in the St. Louis area-complete with live snakes! -that I didn't photograph).

The fish pond is built into the outdoor scenery-very cool!



 When Hux put his hand on each of the puzzle pieces, it lit up to discuss the specific specimen. 

I love this shot -this looks down on the first floor of the center and Hux loves to gaze through bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment