Friday, July 1, 2011

Hux's Room Completed for Now!

Welcome to Hux's room... (note-thanks to Betsy for Hux's 2 yr old birthday garland repurposed)

I have been collecting awesome book cover posters at the English teacher conferences I've attended this past year (they give them out for FREE!) because I knew I'd want to make Hux's apartment room colorful, and I wasn't going to be able to paint it/nail items to wall etc!

I wanted to "frame" the posters with lightweight posterboard so I headed to JoAnn's Etc. for large posterboard & foam board pieces but they didn't have the right size. The lovely JoAnn's lady I talked with mentioned ArtMart which is conveniently about a 7 minute drive from our house, and I hit the jackpot! Thanks Artmart! Here are the results...
Left corner



Right corner
Back corner with closet

Back of room by with back of room door

Left wall

My favorite parts-the foam board with book covers and the flying books...




I got the idea for these books from a Domino magazine article (alas Domino-I loved you so), but luckily it was pinned on Pinterest so I could see how to do it-see Pinterest/Domino image below. I couldn't figure out where you got lovely colored hardcover books until I went to Goodwill hardback book collection and started taking off covers. In order to prevent the books from being too heavy, I ripped out huge swathes of paper and then just curled and taped the remaining pages in groups to get the curly effect.
My results were not exactly the same effect as the books are thicker with curled paper and awesome cord but considering I have to use tape on the ceiling, I'm doing pretty well I think!

Overall cost:
Posters and book covers=Free
Curtain- fabric leftover from my classroom=free
10 good-quality posterboard sheets @ $2.35ea=$23.50
2 pieces of 20x30 foam board @$8.65 each=$17.30
3 books from Goodwill @ $1 ea=$3
huge ball of Twine at Walmart =$5
Colorful Reading-Themed Room Total Cost=$48.80 (less than $50!)

Up next- our adventures walking to the St. Louis Zoo and back & the lovely neighborhood library.

1 comment:

  1. I love the hanging books! Fantastic! I should have known it came from pinterest! Love pinterest - love Domino, too!

    And btw - I just ordered 4 tshirts from Threadless. :)

    ReplyDelete